climate change - how bad can it get?
If greenhouse gases levels and global temperatures are not reduced, probably within the next ten years, then climate change scientists say we risk nothing less than the survival of the human race.
At some point, thought to be between 2 and 3 degrees of global warming, the Earth will kick in with its own warming mechanisms, known as positive feedback loops. A tipping point will be reached, runaway climate change will begin and we will lose control of the process.
It doesn’t have to be like this. We can prevent runaway global warming. And going green can reduce costs and improve your quality of life. More...
here are some of the predictions
- The Amazon rainforest, one of the world’s largest carbon sinks, will quite literally burn up.
- Methane will be released from melting tundra in Siberia and Canada, and from the depths of warming seas, thereby adding to the greenhouse effect.
- The Arctic, Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets will melt leading to rising sea levels. Up to 80% of plant and animal life on earth will disappear.
- There will be fierce competition for dwindling water sources.
- Crops will fail and supply lines break leading to price rises, food shortages and famine.
- Large swathes of the planet will become desert, including southern Europe and the Midwest of the United States.
- Tsunamis and hurricanes will batter coastal cities with increasing regularity.
- Climate change refugees will engulf temperate areas like northern Europe.
- Nations will enter into conflict with nation as the human race struggles to cope with the changes.